Saturday 21 June 2014

For Lahore, With Love

Amjad Nawaz is a business graduate. He runs his own company which imports interior furnishing products with offices in Lahore and Islamabad. His work takes him to different countries and helps his passion of photography.He currently resides in Lahore. He can be reached at; 

Instagram: @UnmadeRhyme 

Twitter: @UnmadeRhyme






While most of the people are busy clicking beautiful pictures of Lahore for money, he does it because he loves Lahore. Let's see what story he has to tell.


I was neither born here in Pakistan nor am I a Pakistani national but I've always wanted to live here. I cannot exactly put into words why I feel so for this place but there's a hearty connection that I bear with this place.

Back in the O Level days, when I joined the family business, my father and I used to have conversations regarding where in the world I would like to settle.

My father always wanted me to move to China where his business is based, so that I could help him with chores. I somehow always avoided this answering this question but one day when he particularly asked me,
 

'Dunya ka konsa mulk choose karo gay rehnay ke liyay?'

(Which country in the world would you choose to live in?)

I then decided, it was time for him to know what my mind beholds. I then told him,

'Mulk chorain mein tou Lahore na choru'

(You talk about leaving the country, I dont want to leave this city, Lahore)

For me, settling abroad was always an easy task. I could've chosen any place in the world. Kuwait, where most of my father's customers are settled or Thailand, of where I hold a nationality or China where my father is settled or anywhere else in the world where I liked. But I chose Pakistan and Lahore to be specific
.
Frankly, I've only spent 10 years of my life here. I've lived in Bangkok, Jakarta and Rawalpindi but to be honest Lahore is definitely the best.

I dedicate this piece of writing to my father because up-til now I haven't been able to convince him for why I wanted to live in Lahore so here's something I would like to say, 'Dad I know I've never been able to explain to you why I want to live here and I know I shall never even be able to do so but it's like when I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it is like roots, like its my motherland. I know I belong here and I have an affection for this place. Excuse me for being disobedient.'

And to each and everyone of you who is reading this, I'm not sure if you found this story interesting or you label me as a fool for not leaving when I could have easily done but for once and for all I would only say,

'Chahe kuch bhi hou meine Lahore nahi chorna'

(No matter what happens I will never leave this city)


So here are a few of the amazing pictures by him.



Liberty Roundabout, Lahore.


Poetry on a truck in Lahore which says:
How cruel are the people of your city; They murder first and then ask whose funeral is it?

Night Photography. Location: Lahore.

A long exposure shot of the area around Liberty market.



A long exposure shot of the Liberty Roundabout, Lahore.

Thank You for stopping by :)

No comments:

Post a Comment