Friday 20 June 2014

Why specifically a typewriter?


I have loved typewriters ever since I saw one in the storeroom of my house back in Lahore. The not so little, black and dusty typewriter always seemed appealing to me. It had a charm like no other and I remember sitting in a dark and gloomy corner of the store room on hot summer afternoons keying in random things on the non functional electronic typewriter. But soon when we had to move from one city to another, my parents never even considered of taking the old and useless machine along, hence I had abandon my favourite gadget behind. Even though I didn't have a typewriter after that but I couldn't get that beauty out of mind. I still got excited whenever I spotted a typewriter around. Back then I didn't really know where could I find a typewriter of my own and filed my dream of getting a typewriter in the 'someday' folder of my brain. Recently, on one of my visits around the city I spotted a shabby, old shop in the old city area selling tens and hundreds of these vintage beauties and it literally made my heart flutter. It took me a good six months to finally get to this shop and when I finally did and got a typewriter for myself, I was literally on the seventh heaven.

It was then that my friends and acquaintances who considered getting a typewriter in this modern era of computers and printers to be specific, as sheer stupidity, asked me weird question. The most frequently asked question was, 'Why specifically a typewriter?'

So here I am giving away the few reasons for why I'm so fond of typewriters.

Most of the typewriters are unique and one of a kind pieces. In many cases, the typewriter that you own might be the only one in the city-maybe the world too.And rarity always makes it exciting.

I have a thing for vintage stuff. I can not really put into words but all the old school stuff is quite close to my heart and it feeds my collecting habit. I have a mighty collection of pictures of friends and family that date almost half a century back and vintage books and a few postage stamps and some coins. Typewriters are just another to that might collection.

I love them for their dust and grime, their sticky keys and wayward ribbons. I love them because they make me nostalgic with the memories of an era where I didn't even exist.

The one thing that specifically makes my heart grow even fonder of this little thing is that the process from brain to fingers to instant print in combination to secondary faucets of smell, rhythm and the 'Thak-Thak' sound is one that cannot be mimed by any other machine interactions.

And also because I strong believe in the words of John O'Hara who said, '“Much as I like owning a Rolls Royce, I could do without it. What I could not do without is a typewriter, a supply of yellow second sheets, and the time to put them to good use.” 

Say 'Hello' to my vintage beauty!
P.S. Brace yourselves for quite a lot typewritten stuff is coming your way. ;)

Much Love.

3 comments:

  1. Oo La La ~
    I can see much more fun with your vintage finds.. I hope you will be having fun while reading & then typewriting too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Yes for sure and I'll make sure you have fun too ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow this is really nice! The typewriter written stuff is personalized so it's an experience in itself and creates memories and attachment.

    ReplyDelete